It’s real weird, but the localized images for the Emulator doesn’t seem to have CF2.0 installed on them. I tried to install it by using the msi installer, but it told me I already had it installed and just stopped. What about people that have two Windows Mobile devices ? Shouldn’t you be able to install the device run-time anyway?
I suspect there must be an easier way to do this, but here is what I did:
- Start the Emulator (from Device Emulator Manager), and connect it to ActiveSync (se earlier posts if you don’t know how)
- Copy the file NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab to the emulator (mine was located at %program files%\Visual Studio 2005\SmartDevices\SDK\CompactFramework\2.0\v2.0\WindowsCE\
- In the emulator, use File Explorer and click on the cab file you copied – it should then install
- This is real important: When the installation is finished, you’ll be asked if you want to reset the device. DO NOT CLICK ON OK!
- Click Cancel. Then in the emulator select File->Reset->Soft
- When the emulator has booted again, it may be a good time to save the state 🙂
When I clicked on OK after the installation, the emulator apparently did a hard reset. Yes, this means that all installed programs and settings was deleted, including the Compact Framework 2.0. 🙂