March 17, 2010
I recently moved an old Visual Studio 2003 project to a new XP machine and of course I got the infamous “You do not have permissions to debug the server” message when I started the project.
I googled around a bit for a solution but there seem to be a lot of different issues and solutions.
Anyway the solution was quite simple, this blog got me on the right track, but I think I found little twist to make it even easier (and probably safer):
- Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Local intranet (icon) -> Sites -> Advanced:
Add ‘http://localhost’ to the zone (type into box and click Add)
That should be all. If it doesn’t work here are some tips:
- Go back to Security tab, click ‘Custom Level…’
All the way at the end of the list make sure ‘Automatic logon only in Intranet zone’ is enabled
- Make sure the user specified in the Anonymous access tab
(Start -> Administrative tools -> Internet Information Services -> Properties on the web application -> Directory Security -> Edit) is a member of the debuggers group
(Start -> Administrative tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups -> Debugger Users (right click) -> Add to Group…)
March 12, 2008
Sorry for no updates… I haven’t really been working with Windows Mobile development for a long time now, so there hasn’t been much to write. However I’ve learned a lot about Web/AJAX and old fashioned Windows Forms programming lately, but that seems to be against the name of this blog 🙂
Thanks for the nice comments though, it’s nice to see my ramblings can be of use to somebody else. Being linked to on Microsoft Small Business Developer Center certainly was a nice suprise 🙂
May 24, 2007
I finally got around to installing the SDK for WM6. Turned out that my Toolbox (in Visual Studio) was completely empty when I started a new WM6 project afterwards.
The solution was to right-click the toolbox and select “Reset Toolbox” from the context menu. This was highly annoying because it of course removed my custom tools (e.g. the Ajax Toolkit). Anyway, at least it’s working.
May 9, 2007
Finally I got around to changing the ringtone on my Windows Mobile device. A quick search on how to use a MP3 as ringtone only turned up ads for applications that would do that for you. As I suspected you don’t need any special software for this – it’s actually embarrassingly easy:
Use the file explorer and navigate to the file you want to use. Tap and hold on it to the context menu appears and select “Set as Ringtone” 🙂
Note: This will copy the file to the Windows\Rings folder (i.e. using internal RAM). This is a good idea because there is a gotcha:
the storage card will usually power down, meaning that if you put it on the card it may take quite a while before the ringtone is heard when someone calls you!
March 20, 2007
For a long time I’ve wanted a tool to produce ‘MySQL-type’ scripts (backup) for SQL Server – i.e. a text file with all data written as INSERT INTO statements.
I don’t really like the backup function in Enterprise Manager/SQL Studio because it stores all data as a large binary file, and it seems like overkill sometimes. With a text file of INSERT statements I feel more in control, and as a bonus you don’t need special privileges for the DB login (except for being able to read the data/meta-data).
Here is a tool that can do this – released by Microsoft (on CodePlex)
SQL Server Hosting Toolkit / Database Publishing Wizard
The tool is really meant for generating a script for use with Hosted Servers – but I primarily use it for backups. It is also integrated with Visual Studio.
February 13, 2007
As you probably know Windows Mobile 6 has been announced, along with a new SDK. The SDK doesn’t seem to be available yet, but according to the What’s New for Developers Guide, you can use the new emulator with WM 5.0 development.
WM6 is also fully backwards-compatible (it uses Compact Framework 2.0 SP1) so any WM5 app that doesn’t use a lot of esoteric code will run just fine as it is on WM6.
edit: Turns out they dropped the .0 from the version, so while it is Windows Mobile 5.0, the new version is just Windows Mobile 6…
February 1, 2007
Looks like there is some sort of bug with the install program for the Visual Studio Tools. The error message says that some required component is missing, or that there is an version conflict. There is a fix for this posted at the MSDN Forums by Ginny Caughey, I’ll repeat it here:
Install sqlmobile30devtoolsenu.msi from the Visual Studio install media, located in the folder: \vs\wcu\SQLCE first. Then the CE tools will install.
I had this problem, and it was probably because I uninstalled the SQL Server Mobile Edition tools first. This seems to be a bug from Microsoft in that it requires the previous version of the database or that the uninstaller simply uninstalls too much.
The reason I uninstalled the Mobile Editon tools was because it showed up in the datasource list in Visual Studio. After installing the .msi file above, and installing the CE Tools – everything looks right in Visual Studio finally.